Car-Rider Line Procedures
The safety of our students is our utmost priority. Be sure to take all precautions when dropping off or picking up your child in the car-rider line. Please review the following car-rider procedures:
• Each family will receive several name cards. Please place one in each vehicle that is used to pick up your child. They should be placed in the passenger side window so the car-rider volunteer can clearly see the name.
• If someone else is picking up your child and does not have a name card, please call the office and let us know who will be picking up your child.
• Please follow the times carefully. Car-rider drop-off is from 7 a.m. until 7:30 a.m. After 7:30 a.m., the student is considered tardy, and you will need to pull around to the parking lot, sign your child in at the front desk and get a tardy slip from an office staff member. Dismissal begins at 2 p.m. and runs until 2:15 p.m.
• When dropping off or picking up your child, enter the car-rider line from the north entrance by the gymnasium. You will follow the ring road all the way around the playgrounds until you get to the covered area. When you reach the covered area and see the car-rider volunteers, be sure to pull up to the farthest volunteer.
• Do not get out of your car while in the car-rider line. A car-rider volunteer will open the car door on the passenger side and assist your child in getting in and out of the car.
• Please keep the car-rider line moving. Do not stop to have a conversation with the car-rider volunteers. If you need to speak with your child’s teacher, you will need to call the school office and set up an appointment. Or you may email your child’s teacher.
• For safety reasons, please do not talk on your cell phone while in the car-rider line and in the school zone.
During school traffic, Pear Orchard Road gets very busy and tends to back up, especially during the beginning of the school year. We ask for your patience when traffic backs up, and we ask you to be extremely cautious. Here are a few tips for keeping traffic moving smoothly along Pear Orchard Road:
• Please note that we have two crossing guards to help direct traffic: one at the intersection of School Street and Pear Orchard and another at the exit of the car-rider line. Drive carefully and watch for their directions.
• It is important that EVERYONE use their turn signals, especially the traffic coming from Rice Road. Using turn signals lets our crossing guards know how many cars to allow to flow through.
• When a crossing guard motions you to stop your car, be sure to stop at the school zone sign at the side of the road (especially for cars coming from Lake Harbour Drive). Our buses need all the space they can get to turn when entering and exiting the school.
• When coming from Rice Road headed south toward the school, do NOT block the School Street intersection, as this will cause a major backup along Pear Orchard.
• When you first pull into the car-rider line off Pear Orchard, you may be asked to form a double lane to prevent traffic from backing up on Pear Orchard. If this is the case, you will be asked to merge into one lane as you get closer to the gymnasium. It is very important that you be courteous, taking turns to allow your fellow car-riders to merge!
• Use common sense: drive slowly, do not pass the car in front of you, stay in line and stay in your car at all times.
• At the end of the car-rider line as you reach Pear Orchard, you are required to turn left (south) onto Pear Orchard to alleviate a traffic backup. No right-hand turns are allowed onto Pear Orchard during morning drop-off and afternoon pickup.
• And, finally, please remember that we are in a school zone, so slow down – especially during rainy days. The speed limit is 15 miles per hour. When the streets are slippery, it makes it even more dangerous for our crossing guards who are stationed in the middle of the street.
Thanks, in advance, for making our car-rider line safe for everyone!